Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Day After

I've completed surgery!  You might be wondering how I feel.  I have to say that I'm in pretty good spirits.  It's now been 24 hours since I've awaken from the anesthesia. Let me give you a run down of the day of surgery.

Tuesday, February 23
11:30am - arrived for surgery and completed paperwork
12:00pm - I go back into the room where I strip down and get into my gown. Met a ton of nurses and doctors who will all have a hand in my surgery. They were super nice. This is where whomever is there with you for support can be with you.  Lauren was great to have around. She kept my mind off of what was about to happen. The nurses all do their spiel about their role in the surgery and to give me info for what to expect once I wake up from the anesthesia.
1:30pm - I head into surgery.  There were a ton of people in that room!  They were all talking to me. By this time I had gotten an injection in my IV to relax my nerves. The last thing I remember is getting the gas mask.
4:00pm - I wake up from the anesthesia and a nurse at my side.  I was trying to speak but it was like I had the words in my brain but I couldn't get the words out.
6:00pm - I made it to my room. Met all of my nurses who would be with me during the night. They were all very nice!  Denise is a spitfire nurse that loved to laugh and make me laugh no matter how much it hurt to do so.  I really enjoyed our chuckles. Pam was with me overnight and she was very caring and helped me walk the halls.  You see, you have to walk in order to work out the gas that's inside of you.  During laproscopic surgery they fill you up with gas so that they can maneuver inside of you. So you have to burp and pass gas A LOT to get it all out. Fun times! hahaha

One of the things I noticed is that I hadn't been peeing since I got to surgery. This was a good 8 hours that had passed.  Once I got a couple of bags of fluids in me, I was up and down all night going to the bathroom. It was definitely good practice in moving around.

Now that I'm on day two post-op, I'm actually feeling pretty good. I don't have much of an appetite but I am moving around a lot more. Sipping my water and my protein. Trying to get in some broth, sugar-free pudding and sugar-free popsicles.  You'd think it wouldn't be an issue - but honestly, to eat/sip is a lot tougher when you're not really wanting to because you're not really hungry.

Each day it gets better.

1 comment:

Jen Hills said...

WOW! Thanks so much for sharing! I am scheduled for the band on 3-10 -so reading your description is very helpful and comforting! Thanks :)